Job Title: Executive Director
Job Type: Full Time
Location: La Crosse, WI
MISSISSIPPI RIVER REGIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The Executive Director recommends policies and programs to the Commission that are consistent with the Commission’s mission, responsibilities and policies. The Commission establishes policies and programs and the Executive Director implements them. The Executive Director plans, directs and coordinates the work of the organization under the direction of the Commission, and performs related duties as required. Considerable latitude exists for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative always with the direction of the Commission in mind.
• Responsible for the overall management of the Commission, including implementation of policies and procedures, budgeting, financial management, communications, and personnel management.
• Drafts the Commission’s yearly budget for Commission decision.
• Manage day-to-day operations, programs, and projects in a manner that is consistent with the Commission’s governing documents and policies, as well as grant and funding agency requirements.
• Under the terms and conditions in the Commission’s Bylaws, Personnel Policy Manual and policies undertakes the hiring, orientation, supervision, evaluation, discipline, and termination of all Commission staff and interns.
• Represents the Commission before federal and state agencies, regional planning commissions, county, city, village and town governments.
• Actively seeks out funding sources for the Commission.
• Responsible for seeing that agendas, minutes, treasurer reports, financial reports, and meeting packets for all Commission and committee meetings are prepared.
• Responsible for seeing that Commission meetings, Commission Committee meetings are coordinated, scheduled and held as required or needed.
• Encourages Commissioner participation in program development and legislation advocacy.
• Reviews and works with Commissioners to update, maintain, and implement all Commission policies, procedures.
• Enhances the Commission’s visibility and reputation through media interviews and presentations, along with delivering presentations to county and town boards, city councils, nonprofit organizations, and professional groups.
• Keeps abreast of news events and changes impacting the Commission, planning and economic development.
• Attends Wisconsin Association of Regional Planning Commission meetings.
• Sits at a desk reading, writing, analyzing, and communicating by phone, computer and e-mail.
• Carries personal computers, monitors, laptops, screens, projectors, boxes of paper, and other office equipment, supplies and materials.
• Drives to daytime and night meetings and visits project sites which involve walking in fields, woods, urban centers and climbing hills and stairs.
• Prepares and reviews personnel time sheets to provide accurate cost allocation to project contracts.
• Undertakes other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Commission that are consistent with its mission, responsibilities and policies.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in economic or community development, urban planning, public or business administration, or related filed.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• Work experience in planning and/or economic development.
• Ability to work well with others and the public in a fast-paced team office environment.
• Master’s Degree; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully meet the Key Qualifications, and Duties and Responsibilities of the position.
• Experience in a management - supervisory role in regional planning and/or other governmental organizations; some private sector experience may substitute for public service experience.
START DATE AND PROBATIONARY PERIOD:
• The position is set to begin January 1, 2020 with the first day of work set for January 2, 2020.
• The person hired will be subject to a 1 year probationary period.
ANNUAL SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The annual salary range for this fulltime position is $70,000 to $78,000 and includes an excellent benefit package including State of Wisconsin health insurance and retirement program.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE:
• To apply for this position, submit your resume and complete the MRRPC Employee Application in full at: www mrrpc.com then submit both by E-mail to: [email protected].
• The deadline for applying is Friday, October 18, 2019 or until the position is filled.
The MRRPC operates its employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, age, sex, disability, low income, limited English proficiency, and national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
For further information on this position or the MRRPC please visit our website: mrrpc.com or contact Greg Flogstad, Director at 608.785.9396.