APA Iowa Chapter Annual Conference
2017 Upper Midwest APA Planning Conference
Join planners from across Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and other states for the 2017 Upper Midwest APA Planning Conference hosted by APA's Iowa Chapter. This year's conference will be held in Dubuque, Iowa from Wednesday, October 4 through Friday, October 6. Please find below a quick synopsis of the conference activities:
- Progressive Dinner: On Wednesday evening, you can enjoy a taste of Dubuque featuring a progressive dinner with stops at three unique local venues.
- Mobile Tours: On Wednesday afternoon, choose from tours of the Bee Branch Creek Restoration Project or Historic Millwork District, or hop on a bicycle tour. On Thursday, explore downtown mixed use redevelopment and upper story housing, or take part in a real-time transit planning exercise to expand transit service in Dubuque.
- Emerging Professionals: A number of sessions geared toward students and emerging professionals will be available, including the opportunity to be matched with a conference attendee through the Mentor Match program.
- Reception: On Thursday evening a reception and Chapter Awards will be held at a historic site. Light appetizers and two drink tickets will be provided.
- Session Tracks: The conference theme is Envision - Engage - Empower: Creating Resilient Communities.
- Exhibit Hall: The exhibit space will be open to conference attendees from 3:00 to 5:00 pm on Wednesday; 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Thursday; and 7:00 a.m. to Noon on Friday.
Two Conferences, One Low Price
APA Conference attendees can extend their stay by registering for the 10th annual Growing Sustainable Communities Conference at a reduced price. Held in Dubuque from Tuesday, October 3 through Wednesday, October 4, this conference will be two days of education, inspiration and collaboration on topics of interest to anyone who cares about creating great towns and cities that stand the test of time.
Named the 4th Best American Riverfront by USA Today’s 10Best.com, Dubuque’s location along the Mississippi River is one you don’t want to miss. Experience the flavor and the benefits of an authentic “Masterpiece on the Mississippi!” Dubuque features a rich history, magnificent historical architecture, diverse arts and cultural amenities, and abundant natural beauty, including majestic limestone bluffs along our beautiful riverfront.
Conference Site and Hotel Reservations
This year's APA conference will be held in the Port of Dubuque at the Grand River Center located at 500 Bell Street (View Map). Situated along the magnificent Mississippi River, the Grand River Center is adjacent to deluxe lodging, gaming and entertainment venues on the Port of Dubuque, including: waterpark, museum and aquarium, restaurants, river rides, marina, and bowling. The Grand River Center is within walking distance of historic downtown Dubuque, or catch the free Summer Trolley.
?Room blocks have been reserved at two properties: Grand Harbor Resort & Waterpark, connected to the Grand River Center; and Holiday Inn.
Grand Harbor Resort & Waterpark, 350 Bell Street: $109/per night plus tax for single or double occupancy. For each additional person, $10 charge. The resort room block has been reserved until Monday, September 4, 2017.
Toll Free: 866-690-4006
The Grand Harbor Resort’s onsite indoor waterpark offers 25,000 square feet of wet fun for the entire family. Waterpark experience includes waterslides, tube rides, rope ladders, waterspouts, water chutes, squirt guns and powerful water cannons as well as a lazy river, activity pools, and two giant hot tub whirlpools plus the “four story splash” – 350 gallons of water dumped every eight minutes from Huck Finn II Treehouse! Rate does not include Waterpark tickets. Waterpark closed Monday-Wednesday, reopening at 4 PM on Thursday.
Holiday Inn, 450 Main Street: $94 per night plus tax for single and double occupancy. The room block has been reserved through September 3, 2017.
Thank you for Sponsoring the 2016 APA Iowa Annual Conference!