Economic Development / PLANNING Specialist
Job Title: Economic Development / PLANNING Specialist
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Place Dynamics is seeking an individual with very strong analytical skills to join our team at the entry to mid-career level. This person will need to work independently to conduct complex economic, demographic, and market research, and strategic planning for clients across the United States.
Place Dynamics is a 12-year old consulting practice known for a market-based approach and the detail of our analyses, using innovative sources and customized approaches. Our clients range from rural counties to the nation’s largest cities. Our core services are in market research, economic development, and business district vitality. We also work in city planning and business consulting, although we are not actively pursuing these markets. About 25 percent of our projects have been in the Upper Great Lakes region, with the remainder across all parts of the US and into Canada. Sustained growth has led us to create this position.
We are hiring an Economic Development and Planning Specialist at the entry to mid-career level. The person hired for this position will support all aspects of the consulting practice, to include client development, proposal writing, analysis and report preparation, and limited implementation services with clients in areas such as business recruitment or other economic development activities. A majority of work will be performed in-house with some travel.
Examples of the Type of Work to be Performed
- General project management activities such as scheduling, task management, client follow-up, and billing.
- Perform on-site analysis and inventory of conditions within project areas.
- Conduct in-person and telephone interviews or focus group meetings with project stakeholders.
- Conduct or assist with the planning and execution of public presentations, meetings, and workshops.
- Collect data from federal, state, local, or other sources.
- Analyze data and produce charts, maps, tables, or other graphic tools for inclusion in reports and presentations.
- Develop advanced Excel or Access routines to process large quantities of data or perform advanced analyses, such as population projections or economic forecasts.
- Design and conduct surveys.
- Gather background information and synthesize prior planning related to the project and study area.
- Develop recommendations, strategies, and implementation plans based on client goals and the results of analysis.
- Identify implementation metrics and benchmarks, and evaluation processes.
- Prepare economic or fiscal impact analyses.
- Provide direct economic development services to clients.
- Assist in outreach to potential clients and in identifying upcoming projects or requests for proposals.
- Prepare responses to requests for proposals and assist in presenting to potential clients.
- Assist in developing content or executing strategies to promote the company.
Compensation is competitive and may include an annual incentive bonus. This position will be based near Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
While requiring very strong analytical skills, this position is somewhat open with regard to areas of specialization. We will be equally likely to consider an applicant with economic development knowledge adding to existing strengths as we would an applicant who is knowledgeable in other areas of economic development, that allow us to provide new services.
Required skills or experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, planning, city administration, economics, or related subject area
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- A very high degree of proficiency in economic and demographic analysis, and market research techniques
- Ability to develop complex analytical tools using Excel and/or Access
- Advanced knowledge of commonly-used data sources (Census, BEA, etc.) and the ability to locate data from other sources, in support of client projects
- Adequate knowledge of GIS (ESRI or QGIS) to be able to import raw data and perform basic functional analysis
- The ability to produce attractive documents, charts, maps, and other graphics for inclusion in reports or presentations
Desirable skills or experience:
- Master’s degree in geography, planning, city administration, economics, or related subject area
- Professional economic development or planning experience
- Economic impact analysis using IMPLAN or REMI or other techniques
- Knowledge of federal economic development programs
- Knowledge of economic development finance and real estate development finance
- Prior consulting experience
How to Respond
Submit a resume and cover letter describing how you meet the essential and desirable criteria listed above, including examples to illustrate your knowledge of market/economic research and economic development planning. Include your salary history and desired compensation. These should be sent to [email protected]. This position will be advertised until filled. Our intent is to hire early in 2018.