Job Title: Planner I
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
$48,006.40 - $65,956.80 Annually
Provides professional services and assistance for a range of planning, redevelopment, economic development and related Department services and activities; performs related work as required.
This is an entry-level professional position; work assignments are introductory-level, supporting professional staff project teams and under direct supervision. Based on experience and knowledge, some leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m.
Examples of Essential Duties:
· Coordinates the development and implementation of long-range planning activities, including land use, historic preservation, transportation, social, economic, and environmental sustainability analysis and others;
· Develops and maintains GIS-based projects for data analysis related to long-range planning, annexations, and infrastructure investment;
· Researches best practices and innovative strategies related to long-range planning activities and other planning principles and projects and makes appropriate recommendations;
· Prepares reports, open house display materials and documentation related to planning projects;
· Provides information and responds to internal requests and questions from the public, developers, and others regarding City Comprehensive Plan policies, sub-area plan policies, historic preservation plan policies, the historic preservation ordinance, brownfields redevelopment, economic development, zoning, and general land use/development issues;
· Analyses and prepares recommendations for ordinance and policy amendments for consideration including amendments to the Comprehensive Plan, zoning ordinance, historic preservation ordinance, and others;
· Prepares reports and provides staff support for Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, Visual Arts Commission and other City appointed Committees and Commissions;
· Economic Development and Neighborhood Services:
· Participates in the administration of the Neighborhood Services Program including coordinating neighborhood workshops, Neighborhood Association work plans and budgets, and other related activities;
· Researches best practices and innovative strategies for increasing quality of life and social offerings for the purposes of workforce retention and attraction;
· Assists in research, reports and documentation regarding City participation in proposed economic development projects;
· Assists in evaluation and monitoring of public improvements related to economic development projects and urban renewal areas;
General Related Work:
· Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
· Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
· Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
· Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
· Some knowledge of principles and practices for Community Development activities including planning, transportation, zoning, historic preservation, redevelopment, economic development and related ordinances, rules and regulations;
· Some knowledge of principals of local and State laws and regulations pertaining to urban planning, zoning authorities, economic development and related operations;
· Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports including appropriate findings, conclusions and recommendations;
· Ability to present technical information to the public in clear, concise and easily understandable manner;
· Ability to research and analyze community development issues;
· Ability to operate a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities;
· Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
· Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
· Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field; and
· Some professional experience with an urban planning agency or firm; or
· Master's Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field; and
· Some professional or intern experience with an urban planning agency or firm; or
· Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications:
· Valid Iowa Driver's License.
Please apply through the website: http://www.cedar-rapids.org/local_government/departments_g_-_v/human_resources/current_openings.php