Job Title: Planner III
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
TITLE: Planner III - City of Cedar Rapids Job Title: Planner III
Location: City of Cedar Rapids
Sequence, the industry’s leading Executive Search firm for recruitment of planning related personnel, has been exclusively retained and is currently seeking a Planner III for the City of Cedar Rapids Iowa.
Today, the municipality has tasked to find them a key Planner within their Community Development Department to perform advanced-level project management responsibilities for complex projects. Under limited peer review from the Assistant Community Development Director, this position leads in the development of long-range plans and planning activities, including redevelopment, economic development, transportation, and others.
The post also participates and leads cross-functional teams including members from various city departments; giving direction to Planner I or II and other Community develop staff on a project basis.
Work efforts might include:
- Planning and managing complex Community Development planning projects of high impact upon the city (urban design, land use, annexation, transportation, utility, and others);
- Performing complex research on proposed projects;
- Writing technical reports and maintains a wide variety of records;
- Providing peer review to Planner I and II employees in Community Development planning projects;
- Completing policy analysis and framing;
- Performing all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attending work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supporting continuous process improvement initiatives;
The city would also like to find a candidate that has urban design skill set and abilities to allow them to bring some of those skills in-house to the department.
Generally, speaking the ideal individual would have knowledge and abilities with:
- Thorough knowledge of urban planning and urban design principles and practices for community development activities including planning, redevelopment, economic development and related ordinances, rules and regulations;
- Thorough knowledge of the process of urban planning projects;
- Thorough knowledge of local and State laws and regulations pertaining to urban planning, economic development and related operations;
- Thorough knowledge of transportation and planning funding;
- Demonstrates an ability to plan and manage all portions of multiple, complex community development planning projects;
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines, define, measure and evaluate results;
- Demonstrates an ability to gather information needed for budget development purposes;
- Responsible for final designs, project plans, specifications, and cost estimates;
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate multidisciplinary teams;
- Demonstrates ability to organize and facilitate public engagement activities;
- Demonstrates an ability to speak and make presentations;
- Demonstrates an ability to produce technical reports and other correspondence;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to operate a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training for the position includes graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design or closely related field and 5 to 7+ years’ experience with urban planning projects, including advanced level project management. Though any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work would be considered.
In addition to compensation, the City of Cedar Rapids has a solid and competitive benefits plan. Additionally, the prospects for the municipality look very positive with a number of major initiatives in the works. The organization would also offer relocation assistance to the right individual.
For immediate consideration, apply directly to Sequence on behalf of the City of Cedar Rapids through our corporate website (www.sequencestaffing.com).
Sequence Staffing 2008 Opportunity Drive, Suite 150 Roseville, CA 95678 Phone: 916-782-6900 Email: [email protected]
Inquires can also be directed to [email protected]