Job Title: Planning Coordinator
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Department: Community Development
Supervisor: Director of Community Development
Location: Community Hall
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: Mallory Davis, Recruiter
Prepared Date: April 2018
Pay Grade: 26
Summary: An employee in this class performs professional planning duties; maintains and administers City development regulations; initiates plans; establishes programs; and coordinates implementation of the same.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: includes the following.
Coordinates the preparation and maintenance of plans for the development of the City:
- Assures the preparation, maintenance, and updating of the City’s comprehensive plan elements
- Supervises the collection and analysis of data relating to various aspects of development for the City
- Supervises the preparation of written reports, development plans, and other planning documents
- Presents plans and recommendations to the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Historic Preservation Commission, and other appropriate entities
Coordinates the preparation of departmental recommendations on development and planning policies for the City:
- Assures that the development projects and related files, records, and supporting data are properly administered and maintained in a convenient and accessible manner
- Supervises the analysis of development proposals for consistency with accepted development principles and adopted plans for the City
- Advises on federal and state regulatory issues relating to land use compliance and recommends departmental policy to the Director
- Presents department recommendations in oral and written form to the appropriate Boards and Commissions
Represents the Community Development Department:
- Serves on interdepartmental committees
- Represents the division before the City Planning Commission; Zoning Board of Adjustment; Historic Preservation Commission and other groups dealing with Community Development
Regular and predictable attendance is required
Other duties as assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises employees within the Planning Division of the Community Development Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Planning or a related field with a minimum of two years’ experience in planning; or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or a related field with a minimum of five years’ experience in planning; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: AICP, preferred
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and see, talk, and hear.
- The work environment is an office setting that is normally quiet.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of supervisory techniques and principles; development regulation requirements; principles and practices of city planning, urban design, geographic information systems, and techniques of statistical analysis
- Skill to communicate in oral and written form on all matters relating to the Planning Division
- Ability to supervise subordinates to obtain efficient and effective completion of assigned work tasks
- Ability to solve advanced planning problems and to prepare development plans for the City
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates, elected and appointed officials, and the general public
Please visit the City’s Employment Opportunities page to apply for this position by the application deadline of May 25, 2018.
The City’s Employment Opportunities page can be found at the following link: