Planning Intern - Des Moines MPO
Job Title: Planning Intern - Des Moines MPO
Job Type: Full Time - Temporary
Location: Des Moines, IA
The Des Moines Area MPO has an excellent temporary opportunity available for an energetic, skilled, dependable, self-motivated, and proactive Planning Intern to join our team.
- Will begin May 2019 and end August 2019;
- Will be for 40 hours per week, not to exceed 640 hours total;
- Will exclude working on the Memorial Day and the Independence Day holidays;
- Will be paid at a rate of $12.00 per hour; and
- Will offer a total internship compensation of no more than $7,680.
The intern will:
- Enter data and prepare document text and graphics using word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software;
- Need to possess excellent written and oral communication skills, as the MPO staff regularly communicates with our member governments and their staffs, as well as the many agencies and organizations involved in the MPO’s planning process;
- Can attend MPO, MPO Technical Committee, and MPO subcommittee, work group, and roundtable meetings;
- Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software to produce maps using various data; and
- Do other tasks, as assigned, including researching, summarizing, and using data collected from various sources, including the Internet, to prepare work documents.
Intern applicants should:
- Have completed at least three years of course work, pursuing a degree in urban, community and/or regional planning. Ideally candidates will have an emphasis in transportation planning, environmental planning, sustainability, or geographic information system (GIS);
- Have word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software knowledge;
- Have an interest, and preferably experience, with geographic information system (GIS);
- Have a valid driver’s license;
- Be prepared to accomplish his/her work at the MPO’s office located in Des Moines, IA, including travelling to the office at his/her own expense;
- Expect to be working with computer applications for most of the workday;
- Can work both independently and as a productive and contributory member of the MPO team;
- Understand that this position requires sitting for most of the work period, with intermittent standing, bending, or carrying of light items such as papers and books;
- Understand that employment with the MPO is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment physical and drug test;
- Understand that the MPO is a non-smoking, drug-free work environment; and,
- Understand that the MPO is a professional office where employees always adhere to a dress code and to a code of conduct, as outlined in the MPO’s Employee Handbook.
If interested in this internship, please submit the following, via mail or email, to the address below:
- Complete online application: https://dmampo.org/employment-opportunities/
- A letter of interest explaining why the MPO should select you for the MPO’s Summer 2019 Internship;
- A current resume, including a valid email address and phone number; and,
- A current college transcript
Mail: Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization
Attn: Zach Young
420 Watson Powell, Suite 200
Des Moines, IA 50309
Email: [email protected]
The Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Qualified disabled applicants who need a reasonable accommodation in order to attend the interview must inform this office before the interview date.
The Principal Planner will evaluate the submitted internship applications to determine applicants deemed best qualified to interview for the MPO internship, and the MPO staff will contact, by email or phone, any applicant selected for an interview.