Job Title: Planner II
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Davenport, IA
The City of Davenport, Iowa, population 103,000, on the banks of the Mississippi and the largest of the Quad Cities, is seeking enthusiastic candidates for the position of Planner II within its Community Planning Division of the Community Planning and Economic Development Department.
Under general supervision, performs work of considerable difficulty in developing short and long term comprehensive, physical, and neighborhood plans for the City of Davenport, and the development and administration of programs, policies and regulations designed to successfully implement such plans.
Examples of Duties
- Works independently in developing and carrying out research, writing reports, and/or developing work programs to solve problems;
- Gathers, analyzes, and presents data in the form of written, graphic, or oral reports;
- Performs research, planning, and technical analysis of complex planning projects and prepares written reports of studies;
- Assists in the coordination with other work groups within the City of Davenport;
- Works with neighborhood groups to address local needs;
- Speaks effectively at neighborhood or other public meetings;
- Acts as project manager or team leader on some assignments;
- Administers local, state and federal programs in accordance with the rules and regulations of such programs;
- Demonstrates continuous effort to proactively improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide outstanding customer service to the citizens of the City of Davenport.
- Bachelor's Degree in urban planning or closely related field and two year's experience. Master's Degree in urban planning and/or AICP certification desired.
- Must become an Iowa resident within two years of hire date and maintain residency throughout duration of employment (per Iowa Code 400.17).
Knowledge and Skills
Considerable knowledge of:
- The principles and practices of urban and/or regional planning.
Good knowledge of:
- The role of urban planning in a municipal and regional setting.
- Tools utilized to implement municipal goals, objectives and policies.
- The interrelationship of the various functions of municipal government.
- Principles of research, statistics, and data collection
Some knowledge in:
- Economics, municipal finance, working with disadvantaged persons or groups, and community organizing.
Considerable skill in:
- Working independently under stressful conditions and/or deadlines at times.
- Establishing and maintaining positive and effective relationships with co-workers, supervisors, elected and appointed officials, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher and Access
- Use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Some skill in:
- Creating interesting and appealing presentations, brochures, reports and other planning documents.
Current salary range is $51349-$67360 with 2% Cost of Living increase effective July 1, 2018.
APPLY ONLINE at http://www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/government/departments/human_resources/job_seekers/ no later than Friday, May 25, 2018