Transportation Planner 2
Job Title: Transportation Planner 2
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Ames, IA
Job DescriptionThe mission of the Iowa DOT is to get you there safely, efficiently, and conveniently. The Office of Systems Planning is seeking a Transportation Planner to join their Planning Team and help improve mobility in the state of Iowa. This small but impactful team has the exciting task of planning for the future of Iowa's transportation system, and this position has a critical role in supporting the state's metropolitan and regional transportation planning activities.
What you'll do:
Responsibilities of this position will include serving as the department's liaison to Iowa's 18 Regional Planning Affiliations (RPAs) and nine Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) in meeting all state and federal transportation planning and programming requirements. Duties include reviewing and approving annual work programs, developing planning contracts, managing billing vouchers and progress reports, and working with agencies to improve their planning processes and products. This will require daily communication/interaction with RPA and MPO planning staffs. This position is also responsible for reviewing RPA and MPO public participation plans, long-range transportation plans, and passenger transportation plans; coordinating their plans with Iowa DOT planning efforts; and developing planning guidance materials.
Other responsibilities include serving as the Planning, Programming and Modal Division's liaison to the department's seven District Transportation Planners to ensure that transportation planning is implemented consistently throughout the state; facilitating District Transportation Planners' meetings, RPA and MPO quarterly meetings, and RPA and MPO planning reviews; and assisting in a wide array of special planning efforts that occur on a regular basis. Responsibilities will require presentations and discussions regarding transportation planning issues with internal departmental offices, RPA and MPO technical advisory committees and policy boards, state and federal agencies, and a variety of other stakeholders. This position will require excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as time management skills.
What makes you stand out:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Analytical thinker and detail-oriented
- Commitment to professionalism
- Energy and passion for serving others
- Goal-oriented team player
Days, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm with flex time available. Overnight travel is not regularly required.
Who we are and what we do:
For more than a century, Iowa Department of Transportation has promoted the growth and betterment of Iowa's transportation system. Headquartered in Ames, the agency continues to serve the transportation needs of Iowa and its citizens.
Contributing to our mission:
Even with nearly 3,000 employees, we're all one team at the Iowa DOT. Our main goal is to keep people and goods moving on Iowa's transportation system. As a member of our team, you'll play a vital role in maintaining safe mobility for every traveler in our state.
What we offer:
Iowa DOT's employment opportunities are among the best with a competitive total rewards package. As a benefits-eligible State of Iowa employee, your bi-weekly paycheck is just a part of your total compensation package. Being part of the DOT team means you're eligible for a wide range of benefits including:
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package
- Work environment that promotes work/life balance
- Career growth and professional development opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and (9) holidays
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Group term life insurance
- Corporate partner discounts (cell phone services, gym memberships, event tickets, etc.)
Minimum Qualification RequirementsGraduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in any field, and experience equal to four years of full-time work in professional transportation planning*/engineering.
Licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.
employees with current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes three years of fulltime work as a Transportation Planner 1.
* "Transportation planning" includes preparing planning contracts and grants; managing planning grant application submittals and project development; preparing functional classification appeals; developing travel demand models and traffic forecasts; creating cartographic representations and data collection applications; analyzing transportation data, project plans, and reports to identify problems; developing portions of statewide transportation plans; or conducting/coordinating transportation research projects.
Closing Deadline: 8/5/2019 11:59 PM Central