Transportation Systems Management Office Director
Job Title: Transportation Systems Management Office Director
Job Type: Full Time
Location: St. Paul, MN
MnDOT is seeking an experienced leader to oversee the implementation of its Office of Transportation System Management (OTSM) in providing various management support functions necessary to deliver MnDOT's products and services. This senior manager plays a leadership role in innovative state and local multi-year capital and operating programs. This position will provide priority-setting, budgeting, scheduling, and constituent response and will interact with state staff, elected officials, and federal, state, and regional funding agencies and community groups on the implementation of a broad array of transportation products and services.
MnDOT is looking for a leader that is forward-thinking in the development and management of the highway capital, state road construction and trunk highway program bond programs. A proactive leader that can work in collaboration with MnDOT’s Districts and Offices to development long‐range and mid‐range performance‐based/risk-based highway policy, investments and asset management plans so that investment direction and decisions provide the best possible outcome for state transportation.
Working under the direction of the MPPM Assistant Commissioner, the Director provides overall leadership to the OTSM, including short and long-range service planning, capital/facilities planning for the agency, and grant oversight. The Director also works extensively with the Executive and Senior Leadership to discuss, gain approval, and implement plans, policy, and funding changes. This position works with considerable independence under the general direction of the Division Assistant Commissioner.
WHY WORK FOR US
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Earn up to 29 paid vacation days a year
- Earn 13 days paid sick time
- Defined pension plan
- Paid life insurance
- Short & long-term disability available
- Training opportunities
- And more!
MnDOT’s headquarters is located in the City of St. Paul (population 307,672 in 2017), the Capitol City. With its proximity to Minneapolis and the convenient Green Line Light Rail running between the 2 major downtowns, this makes it an easy trip and an extremely desirable place to live and work. Minnesota is known for its art and culture; with so many art galleries, museum, and cultural hubs, you can’t help but share in the creative heart and soul of Minnesota. It is also well known as one of the healthiest states and for its outdoor recreation resources. The State enjoys a stable and prosperous economy with a rich history and strong family values, not to mention a large fan base for Minnesota’s professional sport teams.
MnDOT is governed by the State’s Governor and Legislature. The agency is composed of 5-Divisions overseen by the Commissioner of Transportation: State Aid, Engineering Services, Modal Planning & Program Management (MPPM), Operations, and Workforce and Agency Services. MnDOT has an operating budget of $2.3 billion; and employs approximately 5000 FTEs. OTSM, one of the modal offices within MnDOT, has an annual operating budget of $10 million with approximately 100 FTEs and contributory control of $800 million to $1 billion capital budget.
A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Economics, Planning, Engineering or a related field AND three (3) or more years managerial experience OR a combination of two (2) years managerial experience and two (2) years advanced supervisory experience that demonstrates the ability to direct the preparation of statewide or district level transportation plans and capital improvement programs.
If you meet the above requirements and wish to be considered further in the selection process, you must provide a summary of your experience in the areas below in a cover letter and attach it with your resume to the online application.
- Technical expertise: Experience that demonstrates a broad understanding of state and federal transportation funding, forecasting and planning and management of capital investment for highways.
- Planning and program development: Ability to develop and manage long-range and mid-range highway investment plans including the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP); experience conducting investment analysis for highway capital investments (include the tools and techniques used); and knowledge of innovative funds management techniques.
- Policy making: Experience developing and implementing policies, rules, standards and procedures.
- Human relations: Experience building and maintaining relationships with a variety of agencies, organizations and/or stakeholders.
- Fiscal: Experience developing and managing complex budgets including the allocation of resources.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance trust with transparency and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to promote collaboration, research and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to promote diversity and cultural capital through inclusion and opportunity.
APPLY ONLINE BY 8/5/2019:
- Go to www.mn.gov/mmb/careers/
- Click “External Applicants”.
- On the Job Search, enter the Job Opening ID 34187 in the Keywords search box and click Search.
- Click on the Job Title to view the job posting.
- Click Apply.
- When prompted for your Referral Source, please list: Other – .
Only applicants received on mn.gov/careers/ will be considered.
CONTACT FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMAITON:
Lena Garcia, MnDOT Recruitment Specialist